DAO (the Great Way) always and forever without name.
Simple and small.
Nothing under-heaven can rule over the Great Way.
If Kings obey this,
all under-heaven will follow them spontaneously.
Heaven and earth† join together:
sweet dew will fall
scattering down equally
without consideration for people.
In the beginning, names are given.
Once names are given, boundaries are established.
Knowing the boundaries prevents danger.
Compare the Great Way to under-heaven:
The stream flowing from mountain height
through sheltering valleys to the wide sea.
*Translation by LU Wenlong & Keith Wayne Brown, ©2013.
†There is an intimation here of Yang and Yin being in harmonic accord.
- Daodejing 31 (keithwaynebrown.com)
- Daodejing 33 (keithwaynebrown.com)
- Magic: The Principles of Feng Shui (tobiasmastgrave.wordpress.com)
- Message from the Great Council of the Grandmothers (ascendingstarseed.wordpress.com)
- The Miracle of Water: The Yin and the Yang (veraiconica.wordpress.com)
- Taoist Wednesday, #5 Verse 5: Yin and Yang (madmanstwilight.wordpress.com)
- Boon of Dandelions 9 (keithwaynebrown.com)