If we are going to stay on top of how the Interweb and its diverse intrusions into our life are in fact the very stuff of Control, it behooves us to never forget how global corporate capitalism–the InterDebtWork–is always after better strategies to manipulate us as indebted beings. We have to develop better tactics even as we learn how to code and to move within the flow of what I have called the Book of Life.
“The profit motive, commercialism, public relations, marketing, and advertising — all defining features of contemporary corporate capitalism — are foundational to any assessment of how the Internet has developed and is likely to develop…”
Discourse about the Internet often proceeds as if digital technology has some kind of mind or will of its own. It does not.
For the most part, what has gone terribly wrong in digital realms is not about the technology. I often think of what Herbert Marcuse wrote in his 1964 book One-Dimensional Man: “The traditional notion of the ‘neutrality’ of technology can no longer be maintained. Technology as such cannot be isolated from the use to which it is put; the technological society is a system of domination which operates already in the concept and construction of techniques.”
Marcuse saw the technological as fully enmeshed with the political in advanced industrial society, “the latest stage in the realization of a specific historical project — namely, the experience, transformation, and organization of nature as the mere stuff of domination.” He warned that the system’s productivity and growth potential contained “technical progress within the framework of domination.”
- Great News Or Disinfo? – All Global Banks & Corporate Governments Have Been Foreclosed And Their Assets Seized! (oneworldchronicle.com)
- Resistance versus Emancipation: Foucault, Marcuse, Marx, and the Present Moment (logosjournal.com)
- The marketing might of modern public relations (slideshare.net)
- Digital is Merging with Traditional Marketing (newmediaandmarketing.com)
- Power and the Internet (halsmith.wordpress.com)
- Repressive Tolerance, &c. (powerlineblog.com)