A show-off never learns
A know-it-all never shines
A braggart never achieves
A boaster never gets ahead
All of this is most unnecessary
Seen from the viewpoint of the Way
The person on the Way avoids all of this
Because such things are disgusting.
*Translation by Wenlong Lu & Keith Wayne Brown, ©2013.
- Daodejing 23 (keithwaynebrown.com)
- Daodejing 25 (keithwaynebrown.com)
- Thinking of Aidan: The Presence of Absence (uselesstree.typepad.com)
- J S Bach and the Tao Te Ching (lovellmelinda.wordpress.com)
- Daoist Nazi Problem – a response (warpweftandway.com)
- Relevant Modesty in an Irreverent Culture (separateandtogether.wordpress.com)